Thursday, September 8, 2011

My relection on Platform Presentation Skill Intensive




Dear Gen,
Hopefully my last email about the course will not scare you but inspire you instead. I forgot to tell it, the course was full of hibernating and real life games. We pretended to be an object or anything living or non-living things, which said something to express themselves, I forgot the name of the action. We also practiced how to handle objections and hostile comments - attack in presentation or unfriendly responses. That was the most fun part of all. You have to play full out to learn and put down self-ego and esteem.

 One interesting thing is different evaluators and groups mates could gave completely different  or opposite response. But the strictest evaluator happened to be in my group twice. I was a bit scared of her but just faced it. She even interrupted my presentation when she couldn’t bear my presenter’s stance – too nervous I was and I couldn’t stop moving my hands. She was too abnormal and too serious, wasn’t she? She strongly advised me to brush my sentences up and make them hit to the point instead wasting time because only 40 min to cover so many things.

At first I didn’t feel comfortable to her but I absolutely knew she was like parents who earnestly wanted me to pick up quickly and grow up. Then I found a way to make a difference.

 1.      To bring audience into an state that you want them to trance in, like normal communication system

55% physical

 35% tonality

7% words

So I need to use more body languages with purpose. That means I have to know what I am talking about and try to use movements to help me to hit the point.

 Everyday back home, I spent lots of time on rephrasing the script. But if I tried to recite the script, that is not speech and not organic at all and will make people asleep. So I tried to model Kari, the trainer’s tonality and accent and things became much better. 

 In the final presentation, I gathered all I learnt ( satire, stage anchors, phrasal anchors and tonality, courage and concentration) and tried to apply them because I started to be much relaxed in my wordings and I could use more left brain to  bring audience into imagination, or the situations I was try to deliver.

 Here I learnt how to use Time Management effectively and powerfully. 

One of my groupmate, came to me and appreciated me to enlighten her to know there are so many families in HK or the world are suffering depression.  She said she never realize this until this moment.

That was the time I found I could influence others by speech.

Now I know my presentation problems and know how to improve. The only thing I need to do is taking action. Don't let the passion fade.

There are four natives in the class, besides Soness, the other one of them is an English teaching. Just to see how they improve from their practice from 5 min to 40 min was already a big learning.

Although I was trying to help people to manage stress, I didn’t show I had the power during presentation but made them more nervous for me. That was the early days’ response. True, my voice was almost lost because I was absolutely in the tension that made me feel so exhausted and my cold was getting worse at the early days. But magically, I became better and better with confidence enhancement day by day without taking heavy medicine that I usually need, except vitamins.  The final day was the most joyful day despite the final presentation not yet starting.

This is a lesson again that POSITIVE THINKING CAN IMPROVE OUR IMMUNITY. All fears are imaginary. Fears are normal, not a problem. Even the professional presenter Sonnes felt nervous, she said. (That is why we need to change. )The problem is if we dare to face it, not avoid it. Fears lead to frustration and frustration lead to curiosity and curiosity lead to change.  One has to go through the challenge to attain the ability - to be peaceful and resourceful. So in the future, there are so many similar cases, you will perform better and show your leadership.

Another lesson is DON’T COMPARE WITH OTHERS, but with self. Some of the fears are from comparison and self- ego. Too care on other’s negative comment is not necessary. Just be yourself and learn from mistakes and how to use the techniquesl to make your own style shine.

I must thank your father's support and understanding. He was so patient and nice guy during these days. I could not spare any time on housework but he did lots. I was so grateful to him.

Mon


No comments:

Post a Comment