Monday, February 27, 2012

The thing that counts the most with me ...

Oscars 2012: In quotes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17175876
Hollywood has honoured its finest film-makers at the Academy Awards. Here are a selection of the best acceptance speeches and quotes from the red carpet and backstage.

Host, Billy Crystal


"So tonight, enjoy yourselves because nothing can take the sting out of the world's economic problems like watching millionaires present each other with golden statues."

Michel Hazanavicius to his wife Berenice Bejo when accepting the award for best director


"You inspired the movie and you're the soul of the movie and the positive feeling of the movie. Thank you for being in the movie and in my life".

Michel Hazanavicius thanks another star of The Artist


"I want to thank Uggie the dog. I think he doesn't care. I'm not sure he understands what I say - he's not that good. But, thank you."

Chris Rock, introducing the best animation prize


"I like animation because you can play anything. If you're a white man, you can play an Arabian prince. And if you're a black man you can play a donkey, or a zebra! I've done animation, and it's the easiest job in the world. They tell me the line, I say it, and then they give me a million dollars!"

Rango director Gore Verbinski as he accepted the award for best animation


"Someone asked me if this film was for kids. It was certainly created by a bunch of grown-ups acting like children."

Meryl Streep after winning the third Oscar of her career for The Iron Lady


"This is such a great honour but the thing that counts the most with me is the friendships and the love and the sheer joy we have shared making movies together."

Supporting actor winner Christopher Plummer, 82, speaks to his statuette


"You're only two years older than me darling, where have you been all my life? I have a confession to make: When I emerged from my mother's womb I was already rehearsing my Academy acceptance speech. Mercifully for you I've forgotten it, but I remember who to thank.

Octavia Spencer in her acceptance speech


"Please wrap up, I'm wrapping up, I'm sorry I'm freaking out. Thank you world!"

Iranian film-maker Asghar Farhadi on winning the Oscar for best foreign film


"I proudly offer this award to the people of my country, the people who respect all cultures and civilisations and despise hostility and resentment".

Sacha Baron Cohen on the red carpet


"I'm wearing John Galliano but the socks are from K-Mart. As Saddam Hussein once said to me: "Socks are socks - don't waste money"'.

Bret McKenzie, collecting his Oscar for best original song for Man or Muppet


"I was genuinely starstruck when I met Kermit the Frog. Like many stars here tonight, he's a lot shorter in real life."

Live action short winner, Northern Ireland's Terry George


"This is my daughter, the producer. I'd like to thank the Academy because now I don't have to wait for her wedding to tell the world how brilliant she is. This film is for the people of Northern Ireland who, after 30 years of war, sat down and made a peace, proving that the Irish are great talkers. This is for us."

No comments:

Post a Comment