Thursday, January 13, 2011

A life fighter – My Mother-in-law

14-1-2011

Hopefully the following real life story will inspire people to think something about life.
My mother-in-law has been paralyzed for more than ten years. When she got the first stroke, my son was only a baby. Her health has been deteriorating with the course of time because of no any movement at all in bed. Asthma and diabetes has become her new big issues besides of her heart and blood problems.

Thanks to Miter – her 24-hours Filipino ‘nurse’ and care-taker, my mother-in-law has got through one and another cold winters and even one of the coldest and longest winters this year. I can see that Miter has treated this grandmother as her own mother – I can see from her joy and worries built on the old lady’s well- being. Miter smiled unusually a lot during my visit. She was proud to explained how she has managed to take up the jobs that a nurse need to do – injection of insulin daily and monitor Popo’s blood sugar, despite other tedious routine care procedures and heavy body clean workload. She was pleased to tell me that when she finished hair-cut for Popo last week, Popo blinked her eyes to show her enjoyment and thanks despite she cannot speak.

Although she could not open her eyes easily and give me feedback when I whispered to her, her panting was instantly halted; her tight muscle on her face was immediately relaxed while I was massaging her face and head. Her soft, tender expression stroked me that she desperately needs people’s caress and strokes with their warm hands and hearty words.

Lying in bed and relying on liquid nutrition, where has been the strength from to keep her fighting with diseases and death over one decade?

From her tough wheezes but a never-give-up look, I feel that she has never let go of something which  has dragged her so heavily - this has become her source of courage and endurance for struggling for life until today. She is a life fighter, who never says “Die”.

It is our blessing to have such a heroine mother. Whenever I see her, I am asking myself “Where is the hero?” I asked Miter with admiration, she looked at Popo and smiled.

Living with a patient in chronically complex diseases, I can feel a tremendous effort paid by my sister-in-law since her mother was paralyzed. What deeply impresses me is she massages her mother every day, showing her caring, love and giving strength tirelessly.

I couldn’t help sending my gratitude to my sitter-in-law and Miter in my heart time and again…

Serious guilty pierced my heart when I left my mother-in-law’s home. I’ve done too little to them. I should visit them as often as I can and do what I can do. I promised to myself.

Dear friend, if you have such a parent or senior family members, do visit them often if you can, showing your affection and express your caring directly. They need your love badly. You never know when it is the last time to see them.


Whenever I think of my mother-in-law and Nick Vujicic, I realise that we have no reason to abuse our life  but to take a responsibility for our own.





http://www.lifewithoutlimbs.org/donations/life-without-limits-book-%E2%80%93-new-monthly-partner

No comments:

Post a Comment